Is it Safe for Pet Beardies to Have Grapes?
Bearded dragons can be good pets since they are peaceful and really nice reptiles. They are calm and have a great tendency to be passive. With increasing age, they get even more calm. However, that does not take away the fact that bearded dragons love to interact with people. This is something not very usual with many pet reptiles. You can easily take this pet out from its enclosure and allow it to roam around. But, keep in mind that they may bite if they feel threatened. So, you have to be careful about it.
Many new owners are often confused about the right diet which they should follow for their bearded dragon. One common question which a lot of them have is whether they can have grapes or not. Do you have the same thing in mind? Then reading our blog will help you out.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Grapes?
Grapes are good nutritional fruits that contain a good amount of nutrients and minerals. If you are wondering if your bearded dragon can consume grapes or not, then don’t hesitate anymore. Your pet can ingest a grape. Yes! Grapes can easily be a part of their diet without any risk. It is on the list of the fruits that bearded dragons can actually eat. As a matter of fact, these reptiles love to eat this fruit possibly more than any vegetables or greens. You can give them the grape with the skin removed or intact. But make sure that they do not eat any grape seeds which can be harmful for them.
How Often Should a Bearded Dragon Eat Grapes?
Even though your pet can swallow a chewed grape, you must not overdo it. Bearded dragons should feed on this fruit occasionally and not on a daily basis. It can be given to them like a unique delicacy once a week. You can serve the grapes as they are or mix them with some greens to add to the nutritional value and make them appetizing. Keep a good balance in the overall diet that your bearded dragon follows. It should mainly focus on insects, leafy greens & veggies. You must have a good understanding of the food requirements of your pet reptile all the time.
Why Should Grapes Be Limited in The Diet?
You might be thinking if grapes are safe to eat for bearded dragons, then why we are asking you to restrict the quantity and frequency. Isn’t it? Well, let’s talk about those important reasons for it. Take a look.
- Grapes carry oxalates – oxalates can attach to other important minerals like calcium in their little bodies. When it oxalates to calcium, the system cannot absorb it. This can possibly lead the way towards serious health problems as the pet grows old. Even though a few buds of grapes will only amount to minimal oxalate content, too much of it can cause potential harm to the reptile.
- Grapes contain a large amount of (H2O) water – there is a significant amount of water present in grapes. Bearded dragons do not need too much of water in their system. If your pet consumes more than the required amount of water, then it could produce a serious diarrhea issue. That directly leads to dehydration and other issues.
- Grape seeds lead to impaction – it must be kept in mind that grapes contain seeds and these can lead to serious impaction. That means your pet friend will experience an unhealthy bowel movement for a long period of time. If the bearded dragon cannot defecate for days to come, then they can fall sick.
- Grapes have a lot of sugar – like many fruits found in the market, grapes have a very high sugar content. This can be problematic for bearded dragons. You must closely monitor the sugar content of your pet’s diet. Too much sugar in the diet plan can lead to obesity. It later develops different kinds of disorders.
So, these are the few reasons why you should limit the number of times your pet reptile gets to devour grapes. Too many grapes can lead to serious health problems and you would not want that to happen. Let’s check out the nutritional value that grapes can deliver.
Nutritional Content of Grapes
The list below tells you about the overall nutritional value of grapes and the kind of minerals this fruit usually comes with –
- Water – 80.54 g
- Fiber – 0.9 g
- Protein – 0.72 g
- Sugar – 15.48 g
- Calcium – 10 mg
- Phosphorus – 20 mg
- Carbohydrate – 18.1 g
- Iron – 0.36 mg
- Selenium – 0.1 µg
- Vitamin C – 3.2 mg
Benefits of Adding Grapes To The Diet
Take a look at the top benefits your bearded dragon can enjoy by eating grapes –
- Grapes are very rich in vitamin C and vitamin K. Both these help to improve the metabolism of your reptile friend. Vitamin C even works to promote better eyesight in reptiles. Other kinds of vitamins that can be found in grapes include Vitamin A and Vitamin B6. All of them work to revamp the immunity of the bearded dragon and also keeps the heart healthy for a long time.
- Grapes offer a strong and good fiber content which helps to clear the digestive system. Thus, your pet can excrete with more ease. It aids in digestion and your body is able to absorb more nutrients from the food. This can also help to improve the peristalsis process in the reptile.
- Unlike few other fruits, grapes have a low acid and fat level. That is a very strong indicator that your pet is eating the fruit without too much of risk. Grapes come with antioxidants which helps to reduce allergies in lizards and also repairs damaged cells in them.
Always be sure to check if your bearded dragon is interested to eat the fruit or not. If the reptile shows a lot of interest in eating grapes, make sure to follow all the steps that we discussed today in this blog. We have talked about it thoroughly and will surely help you understand how to deal with this. Best of luck!