Is it Safe for a Pet Dwarf Hamster to Have Strawberry?
Hamsters are cute and very adorable pets that you can keep at home. Since they are small in size, owners don’t face too many problems in maintaining them. However, there is one aspect which you need to keep in mind. Hamsters must follow a serious diet schedule and you cannot just give the animal anything to eat.
But, they can eat a wide range of fruits and vegetables without any hassles. However, if you are wondering whether a hamster can eat strawberries or not, then you must know that – yes they can. Hamsters can actually feed on strawberries without any problem.
But, there are some important facts to know about. Keep reading this blog to know more.
Can hamsters eat Strawberries?
The answer to this question is – yes. These fruits are high in nutrients and contain a wide range of vitamins that keep your hamster very healthy and fit at all times. But, you must control the portion you are giving to them. You must avoid giving your hamsters too much of the same thing. The same goes for a strawberry as well. Only a quarter of a teaspoon for two days a week seems to be the best portion. If your hamster loves eating the fruit, you can give the fruit for one more extra day at times.
Strawberries are packed with a lot of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants which makes a delicious yet healthy snack for the hamster. Now take a look at some important things you must remember when giving strawberries.
Tips To Remember When Giving Strawberry
Strawberries don’t pose any threat to the well-being of your pet hamster. But, there are a few things you need to remember always.
- Always remove any kind of leftover fruit from the hamster cage. Failing to do so can lead to the growth of mold and bacteria. Clean the bowl of your hamster as soon as it finishes eating. Eating leftover food with mold on it can make your hamster sick quickly.
- Use fresh and healthy strawberries. Don’t use a strawberry which is smelly or seems to be bland. Make sure that there is no worm inside the fruit. This can lead to health problems easily.
- Strawberries are seasonal fruits and that is why many people have the tendency to overfeed the fruit. You must avoid doing so. Obesity is never a good sign for your hamster.
- Cut the strawberry in small pieces in order to help your hamster eat the fruit without any hassles. It will also allow you to measure the right quantity.
- Wash the strawberries with cold water before feeding them to the hamster. This will clean any harmful pesticide or chemicals that may be on it.
- If your hamster is not eating the strawberry you just served, don’t force it to eat the fruit. Observe this for a few days and try to understand why your hamster isn’t eating strawberries.
So, these are some of the top things you have to remember when you are serving your hamster with strawberries. Always keep a proper diet plan and schedule in your mind and only then serve the fruit to the hamster.
Nutritional Content of Strawberries
Here is a quick look at the many nutrients that we can find in one-cup serving of strawberry –
- 2 mg vitamin K
- .6 mg iron
- 220 mg potassium
- 6 mcg folate
- 7 mg vitamin C
- .1 mg vitamin B6
- .6 mg manganese
- 7 mg magnesium
- .1 mg copper
- 6 mg phosphorus
All of these very useful nutrients contribute to a better health and well-being of the hamster. Now, let’s check out the top benefits your pet can get when they eat strawberries.
Benefits of Giving Strawberries To Hamsters
Strawberries offer your hamster with a myriad of different benefits. Since it contains a lot of amazing nutritional content, it helps to keep your hamster healthy. Here are the top benefits of giving strawberries to your hamsters –
- The huge amount of antioxidants that are found in strawberries will help the hamster to enjoy a healthy digestion. The immune system improves as well.
- Vitamin C is another great content that is found in strawberries and it helps to improve the eyesight of your hamster. It will help to fight a lot of diseases and also build a strong metabolism.
- Strawberries consist of manganese and it can work to improve the hamster’s bone health as it grows old.
- Vitamin K which is found in the fruit helps to keep the hamster’s heart in a good shape and also improves bone health. More particularly, it is very helpful for proper blood clotting.
- You’ll be glad to know that potassium found in strawberries helps to reduce your hamster’s early mortality risk. It works by improving the overall muscle function, controls blood pressure, etc.
- Fiber and folic acid promotes healthy blood sugar levels and improves the production of red blood cells.
With so many different nutrients and minerals present in strawberries, it is a great treat for your hamster. Give your pet this amazing fruit twice a week and your hamster will enjoy it.
Final words: Despite being such a power packed snack, you should not only focus on giving your hamster a diet consisting of only strawberries. Use mixed grains, vegetables and other food items to keep your pet fit and fine for a long time to come. If you don’t know the hamsters are omnivorous animals so you can create a diet plan for them not only based on the fruits like apple, blueberries, bananas, strawberries or vegetables like cauliflower, cucumber, and carrots and so on but along with that you can also add little insects to his food menu to give them animal nutrients as well. But never give your favorite fluffy pet any kind of muesli mix as hamsters has the tendency to eat the sugary parts more and leave fiber parts which can cause several health ailments for them. You can also try hamster pellets from the pet shop.