Is it Safe for a Pet Hamster to Have Watermelon Rind?
Hamsters are cute, aren’t they? Your tiny friend can be a great pet to keep at home and they are fun to watch throughout the day. Most of the hamsters have a good metabolism and that is why you must focus on their diet really well. They need a good amount of nutrition content in order to stay healthy and fresh fruits, cereals & vegetables are an essential part of their diet. There are different varieties of fruits that you can give to your hamster and watermelon is one of them. Yes! If you were wondering if it’s safe to give watermelon to a hamster, then you must know that watermelon is absolutely safe.
A fresh fruit in the diet plan of your hamster is probably a really good idea. Fruits have a really high amount of nutritional content and that allows the animal to lead a healthy lifestyle. Let’s check out some more details.
Can hamsters eat watermelon?
Yes. Watermelon can be a safe addition to the diet of your hamster but in a limited quantity. Watermelon is a seasonal fruit and is mostly available during the summers. Not only this fruit is delicious, watermelon consists of great minerals and nutrients which will help your pet in many ways. However, you must be careful about sharing watermelon with your pet. It can be a problem if your pet eats too much of it.
Since this summer fruit consists of more than 90% water, too much water content can lead to diarrhea. So, your hamster should eat this fruit not more than twice a week and that too in small quantities. Always check first if your pet is interested to eat the fruit or not. Only then feed a watermelon to your hamster for safety.
Nutritional Content of Watermelon
Even though some people consider watermelon to be low in nutritional content. But it does contain some really good minerals. Take a look at the nutritional content of watermelon –
- 865 iu vitamin A
- 170 mg potassium
- 3 mg vitamin C
- 0.1 mg vitamin B6
- 0.1 mg manganese
- 2 mg magnesium
- 0.1 mg thiamine
- 0.3 mg pantothenic acid
- 0.1 mg copper
You can see that watermelon, in spite of being 90% water, has some of the much needed minerals. This is the nutritional content of one-cup serving of watermelon. Now, we will discuss the benefits of giving watermelon.
Amazing Benefits of Watermelon
In the previous segment, you clearly saw that a watermelon consists of some of the most essential and important minerals. Each of them has their own positive impact on your hamster’s health. Let’s check them out –
- Vitamin A in watermelon helps the metabolism improve over time and allows your hamster to fight a lot of diseases. This vitamin is also good for the lungs and cardiovascular health.
- Potassium is a very important mineral that can be found in watermelon. It helps to reduce the risk of early mortality very significantly.
- Watermelon consists of Vitamin B6 which is a very good mineral that helps to promote better heart health. It keeps the heart healthy for a longer time.
- Vitamin C is easily one of the main components of this fruit and it helps to improve the eyesight of your hamster. It is also responsible for a better cardiovascular health for your pet.
- The presence of magnesium also helps to keep the hamster’s muscles and nerves in the best condition. So, it allows them to be more active.
As you can see that watermelon brings forward a wide range of benefits when your hamster consumes it. But, as we already mentioned, you must take care of the fact that this fruit is given to the pet in limited amounts and that too in small quantities for once or twice a week.
Things You Must Remember
If you have planned to give your hamster watermelon, then it’s a great idea. You can absolutely go ahead with it. But, there are a few things that you must always keep in mind –
- Use a freshly cut watermelon at all times when you are feeding it to your hamster. Stale and old fruits can be really unhealthy for the animal. It leads to different kinds of diseases.
- Make sure to wash the watermelon really well before serving it to the hamster. It will clean any pesticide or harmful chemicals that might be there.
- Cut the watermelon into small pieces instead of throwing a big chunk of it into the hamster’s cage. That will be a very bad idea. Cut small pieces and that will help you to limit the amount of the fruit your hamster is eating.
- Clean the eating bowl in which your hamster eats the fruit. This will ensure that the bowl is clean. Any leftover fruit can develop fungus on it and it can lead to serious problems if the hamster eats that fruit later on.
So, before you serve your hamster a little bit of juicy and delicious watermelon during the summer, keep these points in mind. It will help you to be aware and take notice of the small things that you may have missed otherwise.
Watermelon is a healthy fruit that you can give to your hamster. It contains a lot of nutrients, minerals and good elements which are responsible for a better metabolism. But make sure to limit the amount of watermelon your hamster is eating every week. Do keep in mind about all the other important things that we discussed in this blog today as well. Moreover, along with that you can give other fruits to your lovely pet but making a proper diet plan for it is also important. Along with that for more nutrients and vital elements you can use leafy vegetables like clover and dandelions, veggies like cabbage and carrot, etc. so make a proper diet plan for your pet and give them on a regular basis.