Flea Control Treatment for Pet Ferret
It is difficult for the ferrets to live a comfortable life if they have fleas on their body. Insects which are present on their body can cause many types of issues related to its health. They may have rashes, itching, skin allergies which can cause the hair to fall. If there are huge fleas around the body then serious issues may happen such as swallowing bile, diarrhea, drooling, vomiting, weakness and many other things which might happen. Unless you want the problem to spread and becomes critical, it is better to get the fleas treated.
So, it is important that your most loved pet should be free from fleas and it can get a comfortable and healthy life. Here are some of the ways in which you can get a good treatment and remedy for fleas on ferrets. Listed below are some options.
Can Ferret Get Fleas?
Yes, they can get fleas. It’s the same as cats and dogs. They are generally infected with cat fleas but if you spend a lot of time outside the house with your ferret then they might get infected with other types of fleas as well.
How To Tell That Your Ferret Has Fleas?
Ferrets generally itch a lot. However, if you see that they are scratching themselves too much then it is a sign that they might have fleas. Here are some symptoms that would suggest that the ferret has fleas:
- Your ferret is scratching more than normal.
- You find flea dirt on the body or the ferret bedding.
- You find a flea on the body of the ferret which looks like a chia seed.
How to Get Rid of Fleas on Ferrets?
- Flea Prevention: make sure that you take precaution which will help in serving as an obstruction for fleas in the ferret’s body. The important regular flea treatment will make sure that fleas are deterred, thus protecting them from your ferrets. In this market, you can get the products which will help you in treatment from fleas for your ferret.
- Cleaning Cage: If you want to get rid of fleas it is really important to keep the cage and the surrounding areas clean and in good hygiene. As, the insects build their habitat in dirt and unclean areas. Clean the cage twice in a week and set up a new bedding for the ferret. You may also clean it with lukewarm water and soap. This will make sure that there are no germs in the cage. Make sure that the enclosure is free from eggs or fleas.
Along with cleanliness of the cage for ferrets and its surroundings you also need to clean your home from fleas, so that fleas do not enter your house and spoil the environment of the whole home. You can use the vacuum cleaner to clean the furniture and carpet to avoid fleas in the house. Even fleas killing spray can be used to kill the fleas which are present in the house.
- Role of Apple Cider Vinegar: While the ferrets take a bath, you can add apple cider vinegar in the water. This will act as the repellent for fleas and ticks. This solution will be a very easy and inexpensive way for treating ferrets at home.
- Normal Bath: If you want to remove adult fleas from the body of the ferret then you can try giving them regular baths. Make sure the water is warm and you can use flea shampoo to clean your pet. After the bath is done the fleas in the surrounding can attack again. So, besides bathing you can also use the products that can help you in keeping the infestation of fleas in check. This will make sure that the adult gets killed by taking proper measures.
- Apply Chemicals: You can make use of chemicals such as Advantage (imidacloprid), Revolution (selamectin), Program (lufenuron) and Frontline that will allow you to keep the growth of ferrets in check. These products will help you treat the fleas on the ferret’s body.
- Flea Treatments: There are many treatments but the most famous ones are:
- Frontline: Kills fleas, ticks and even works on mites. The spray can be used per pound and it is very economical and effective. It is based on alcohol and smells very strong. Though it is resistant to water. The effect lasts more than advantage. However, some ferrets may be allergic to it.
- Advantage: kills only the fleas of ferrets 1 /2 to spray per pound. When it is applied to shoulder blades the ferrets cannot lick it off. Most owners find it very effective. The ferret should be completely dry when the dose is induced.
- Revolution: Kills ticks, mice, skin mites, fleas and can also protect from heartworm infection. However, before that the ferret must pass the test which is also known as the negative cardiac worm test. So, that you know that your ferret is safe.
You need to know the proper dosage otherwise it won’t work properly. Make a flea drop for pets which might be for 3-9 pounds. Add the contents in a pack and then use a syringe to inject the medicine. A single dose can help treat 4 ferrets. Ferrets can get anemia when fleas bite them. This can be really dangerous for your favorite pet.
- Toxic Ferret Flea Treatment
- Petroleum distillates
- Flea collars (they contain dichlorvos, which can cause serious health problems)
- Cedar Oils (used as ‘natural’ flea repellents)
- Flea Dips
- Dawn Dish Soap
- Flea Sprays
- Flea Powders
- Pyrethrins (not recommended)
If you are looking forward to getting rid of the fleas. You need to make sure you are following the steps completely. You need to at least use these treatments for 2 weeks. However, it may even take a month to reduce it completely.
These procedures would remove the fleas once and for all from your ferret’s body and help your ferret live a happy and healthy life.